Thursday, November 29, 2007

The house turns for the season

Ah, Thanksgiving has passed, and it is now time for the house to shift from Autumn footing to Christmas style. Pamela and Bella got going on this in earnest yesterday, and by the time I came home today, all of the leaves, acorns, squirrels, and whatnot are back in the basement, and trees, garlands, doves, and owls are now the order of the day. Pamela is a decorating genius, and try as I might, I can never see/comprehend what she's up to until it's done - it's as if she waits for me to leave the room, then wiggles her nose and makes it all "gel". It is a true art.

Bella loves the house decorating just as much as Pamela, and gets a faraway look in her eye and a beatific smile as she carries around decorations. She insists on packing a box of decorations for her own room... which will be done mother-daughter tomorrow. Her sparkle is truly wonderful.

Christmas carols are the soundtrack of our life now.

Isaac is changing too for us: He's been spectacularly restless in the night: Monday had me holding him for over 2 hours: He would settle, but refused to be set down, with the most pitiful wails of spiritual angst. I'll give you angst, kid. But the byproducts of the "brainstorms in the night" are new skills - He's learned a new sign for "crackers" (in addition to his previous sign for MORE PLEASE). He has a new spinning dance he does - round and round. His fine motor skills keep refining - he was stacking blocks with me the other morning. And his babbling is quite multisyllabic with some new phonemes... he's really conversing.

So I don't mind that I'm exhausted, that I slept right through two workouts this week, that I passed out at 8:30 last night... My kids are fabulous, and this time is short. I look at Bella, so big, and remember when she was Isaac sized, and smaller, and know I have to love all of their phases - there are no replays.

No comments: