Sunday, August 03, 2008

Some quick updates

1) Our regular instructor hurt his back this weekend, so I'm filling in Monday at class - my first "real" fitness teaching! This is just crazy.

2) Had a great afternoon: Mom was performing an amazing biographical drama for the MN Fringe Festival: It's a drama that is set in 1942-45 following a strong lady who loved and lost and went to the ETO to help the troops and loved again - and it's all true. It's based on letters and diary entries between the woman and her mom, and the story was written by the daughter/granddaughter. It's a very moving portrait of both what it was like for Red Cross service workers AND for those back at home in places like Bismarck ND.

She's done this a few times in the past, with two other tellers, and this time it's in a premier slot at this festival. Even better, two of the subjects (the woman and her daughter - the mom passed away in the 1960s) were in the audience, which was frankly electrifying - to have these stories told back to the people who wrote them originally....

So it was a great afternoon, and I'm so happy for the success that the story and that mom and her cohorts in the Klatch (her storytelling collective) are having.

3) A quick Isaac moment: In the Foss Swim School, when a kid has done a good job, the teacher asks them for a "high five" - and when the kid delivers the slap, the teacher yells "whoaaaaaah" and falls over backwards into the water. Every kid loves this, and Isaac is no exception.

Last night at bedtime, he was having a hard time winding down, and asked for High Five around 20 times, before I set him down to settle. 10 minutes later, he was hollering again, needing that last 4 ounces of bottle to set his hungry indicator to "full" and really pass out. But before he did, he murmured...

"Daddy.... Hand".
- I put my hand up.
"High. UP HIGH".
- I raised my hand.
"Open"
- I opened the palm.
"High Five!"
- And he slapped my hand.

And I gave him one last WHOOOOAAAHH! And popped him to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. It was a moment and we shared it. So thrilled. They are all in Bismarck now.
I have the 10 pm shift at the theatre - the last show - tonight.

Good story about Isaac! Little fishy.

And hope the class went well today - that's amazing!