Monday, August 11, 2008

The Up North Update

We’re in full relax mode up here: The weather has been very nice, the facilities are as usual excellent, and everyone’s in a great mood. This is shaping up to be a very good vacation indeed.

Naturally since I had stated my desire to leave work behind, my blackberry blinked this morning with news that a new client who I had been trying to get into since the beginning of the year was actively seeking me out… of course! Fortunately my boss will start the overtures.

Isaac is a wild man: He’s been running around the lawn tossing a mini football and flinging frisbees and running in circles. He’s loving the outdoor life, hollering “OUTDOOR!!!” whenever he finds himself inside for more than a minute or two. He’s eating pretty well too, with a newfound love of Ice Cream: He has had a few bowls of it now (starting with one at our house offered by cousin Lilli), and while eating, he pauses frequently to lift his spoon to the sky and proclaim “AYE SREEM!!!!”

Bella and Lilli are a wonderful pair: They are both popping TicTacs at an alarming rate, and Lilli showed Bella how to play Chess tonight: They actually played a full game, and Lilli guided her to a win (with generosity beyond her 12 years). Lilli has decided that Uncle Jimmy is a plaything, teasing me non-stop, tackling, tickling, and sassifrassing: But I’m also the one who at least tries to understand the fevered ramblings of her tweener manga-influenced mind, and I think she appreciates having someone who is willing to operate at her level.

The lake beach has been well visited, and there may remain a few rocks of distinction there, but the grand majority of them have been secreted into boxes and bags by the industrious Bella, and are on our porch. I suspect our car will be riding pretty low on the shocks. Bella and Isaac also swam in the pool for quite a while today… this will be how our days go.

To my great dismay, there don’t appear to be any Russian-speaking exchange students here this year. I asked someone, and they said most of the foreign kids are in the housekeeping area this year… I suspect that perhaps the economy is a factor, and the resort had no trouble filling their waitstaff positions with locals. It’s just a theory. But I’m glad I had boned up on Russian anyway… It’s a fun language.

Oh, and right above our deck is a robin’s nest: Three teenage babies are hanging out, and the mom comes back to feed them very regularly, all around 6 feet from our chairs. We wonder if those big birds will be ready to fly this week: If so it’ll be a wonderful treat.

So that’s the update from Up North. More as it happens. And yes, I am checking messages. Occasionally.

No comments: