Saturday, September 06, 2008

Rubberlegs

Today I finished my second day of Les Mills BodyPump instructor training, and boy am I sore: We're run through the workout at least 8 full times in the past days, plus today we did a "fitness challenge" where we ran for 15 min and then lifted heavy heavy weights (40 squats with 80 lbs for example...) for a half hour just to push ourselves.

My job was to learn one track last night - the Shoulder track. Shoulders are always the hardest to teach because they tend to be planes trains and automobiles: you change between a bunch of different exercises because you're trying to work all of the areas of your shoulder equally. So for this release, you start with pushups, you move to rear delt raises, then stand for mac raises (which are like a front raise plus a side raise at the same time), switch to rotator presses, and finish with overhead presses, changing weights three times in the process.

Of course, I totally nailed it. ;->

Tomorrow I get to teach squats, which is basically ONE movement with different counts (2 up 2 down, 3 down 1 up, singles, slow, you get the idea... but it's all just a squat!) I already have it memorized, so it should go pretty well. Tomorrow is the final day of class, at the end of which we either pass or "need followup". I'm guessing I will pass, based on what I've done so far (and frankly, where I rank with the rest of the class... the Jimmy is doing pretty well).

What's been nice has been moving from knowing the counts to knowing the coaching points - so I can actually offer good advice to the students and motivate the group. My time with Time Out Fitness has been very helpful because I've been able to emulate my instructors there - they have a pretty high caliber of teaching there.

So after 9 hours of working out today (with some book time, some review of video of our teaching), I got home and cooked up dinner for the gang (Pasta for Bella and Isaac, Bacon and Eggs for P and I). Isaac got VERY excited about the bacon, and ate two whole pieces. He's working on eating more and more, and tonight he actually lay down and went to sleep after I read him a few stories: No mention of Bottles... he seems to be adjusting.

I also got to put Bella to sleep, which was wonderful and cuddly: Tonight she wanted to know why there's Queen of England, and who she IS.

No comments: