Sunday, July 23, 2006

After the brunch

So funny. Pamela was sort of leery about venturing outside of the hotel environment during out time away - she wanted to remain "outside" of our daily life for the entire "trip". I convinced her that, hey, Ike's is right outside, and we love their brunch, so let's just wander over there. She agreed... grudgingly.

As we sat there, she expressed that yes, this was was pretty good, but she really doesn't want to see anyone she knows, for the abovementioned reasons. I sympathized and said "what are the chances?"

No sooner had that happened, but somebody who I sort of knew from College plopped down next to us, ordered a Bloody Mary, and told us about his apartment being robbed, about his and other people's clinical depression issues, about his time in Russia, and about the inner workings of college Alumni foundations. In short, while Pamela did dodge the bullet, I was saddled with exactly the sort of "in town" experience we were hoping to avoid.

On the way back, I said "you told me so", and we retreated back to our independent international state. The excitement had proven too much for poor Pamela, however, and she crawled back into bed for another two-plus hours. (Late checkout is at 3!)

And soon our flight back to our life will take off, and we'll have these memories - and hopefully our batteries will be recharged enough that I can handle whatever idiocy my infrastructure department has planned for me THIS week, and she can handle whatever sassafrass Bella has been storing up for us this weekend.... ;->

No comments: