Sunday, July 23, 2006

Update from Far Far Away.

Well, technically we're maybe 5 miles from home, but our stay at the Graves601 might as well be in San Francisco - it feels like a completely different world up here. We are in a large room on the 17th floor - the decor is light wood and white linens, with a sleek 42" plasma TV, microsuede chair and chaise, and a ridiculously comfy bed.

We were greeted with a bottle of champagne, which we enjoyed before dinner down at Cosmos, the haute hotel restaurant. Dinner last night was wonderful - Pamela had lobster, I had duck. I got extra foie gras (for some reason, Pamela does not love the foie gras). We had a mid-meal taste of a "Foam" with coconut and anise flavors - it was amazing. For desert, Pamela got some filled globe of chocolate that disintegrated when hot caramel was poured over it. I had a simple Pomegranite sorbet, with a taste of Lagavulin 16 year (my current favorite scotch!).

The evening was wonderful, the morning has been lazy - we had continental breakfast... and plan to drag ourselves out to Ike's for a hearty brunch in a few minutes. Of course, after finishing the crossword, I had to get up and out, so I wandered out to the 24hour newsstand, and got some new magazines - some french and german design mags for Pamela (both for continental inspiration, and to reinforce the 'foreign' aspect to this little vacation)... and I got more geek mags (because being a geek is always a vacation in itself.)

So that's the dispatch. We're loving this. And I'm SURE Bella's having fun with Jenny... but we're not about to go around ASKING anyone. This afternoon will come soon enough.

I suspect we may have the Graves as our in-town retreat again in the future.

No comments: