Monday, July 31, 2006

Morsels

1) I'm loving a song by "The Sounds" called "Painted by Numbers" - heard it on the radio and bought it on iTunes. Then I find out, they're the superhip new thing. Yay, I'm ever so slightly au courant!

2) I'm loving Japanese - I finished my 12th lesson, can count 1-10, as well as 1000-7000 (with a yen more like a penny, you need big numbers fast), can politely ask someone out for a drink or dinner, demur or accept if asked, comment on nice or not nice weather, greet and thank people, and say whether I can understand you, where are things, there they are... There are a few more things.... but that's pretty much the gist.

What's cool is the logic of the language - it's VERY economical. The verb is always last, and you stack stuff up to the left. Words stay the same, but adding little modifiers like Ka (question), Wo (identifying the object), Wa (identifying the subject), To (with), No (denoting ownership), and other things I haven't learned yet make it so that you can know one word like "watashi" (meaning "I"), and you can say "with me", "my", and "I" with just a watashi to, watashi no, or watashi wa. The rules don't change.

So that's me being a language nerd. I'm mentally comparing the rules to French, German, and Spanish... and god help me I'm seriously thinking about refreshing my Russian (two years in college), just to keep the comparisons going. Later this fall, I'll be hitting Mandarin Chinese... because you KNOW that I have a fantasy of going to Shanghai and having hand made suits made on me. And I'm going to make that happen in 2007. That's what turning 40 will do to me.

3) Dance Dance Revolution is so much fun, I think my head a-sploded. Bailey (one of the twins) did a marathon hour long danceathon, and it was fun to watch, but several times a day I snuck off to do 3-4 tracks on my own. It's a good workout, and hey, after a few tries, you do get the hang of it. If you're not aware, this is the game where it plays fast techno trance music, you're standing on a pad with arrows on it, and you need to step on the arrows in time with the music - so it's not really so much dancing as synchronized stepping, but it'll do in a pinch.

More in another post.

No comments: