Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Back at it.

After a nice weekend, Papa and Bam are back in Chicago, driven this AM by their kind chauffeur (that would be me). I got to work around 7 and slogged through to 5:30 - the days are chock full of stuff to do every day, and I can't see it slowing down.

Had an odd thing: We were scrambling for a "freeze" on the 11th - get it done. That would give me two weeks to prep before we do the pre-release to limited users. But my math says we need less than a week for prep. So I figured I could do my freeze on the 18th, give my people one more week....

I wasn't sure if they were going to kill me or kiss me. I wonder if I shouldn't have just held that reveal off for a few more days... ah, it would have been 50-50 either way. No pleasing folks. Not insanely stressed folks who are running to a deadline i suppose.

Bella loved having so much attention this weekend - Papa and Bam were here, we saw auntie Carrie and Scott and Freddy the Dog, and others.... Last night, near bedtime, Bella said "I have an idea - let's go over to Auntie Carrie's house and see Freddy the Dog!". We said it was a bit late to be going out. She said "Ok, let's call Carrie and see if she can bring Freddy OVER right now!" She loves that Boston Terrier.

As we were bedding down, Bella said: Daddy, your whiskers are scratching my pillow". Yes, I said, they're definitely scratchy whiskers. "Like a CAT's whiskers" she said. "But Daddy, can you please NOT scratch my pillow with your whiskers?" Why? "I don't want you to leave big black marks on my pillow." I'm still trying to figure that out... Maybe she thinks I draw them on with markers through the day?

Last night was fun: Uncle Chicken came by and regaled us with stories of his travels: His adventure in Scotland last month (distillery tours, yes. Haggis for breakfast, check), and story of a wedding in Seattle last month where he was relentlessly pursued by an elderly drunken Japanese man who was convinced that Nick was Superman (or "SoopahMAN!") and was insisting that Nick fly out next spring to see Sakura, marry his Granddaughter, and eat a special Japanese Radish. All this is true. He had us in stitches - we've wondered what Nick will finally do in life, and I think he needs to go have his adventures and tell the world about them. He should be blogging.

An early bedtime, as I need to get up and do my 6am workout: There aren't very many of us at 6am (usually 3, sometimes 5), and I have been so vocal in my love for the timeslot that they're expanding it to TWO 6am classes a week... but if I miss one, I feel like I'm letting the whole "early morning" cause down, and they'll just cancel them outright. I need to keep the faith! Also, it's a great way to wake up! But it's a lot of pressure, no?

Finally, some Japanese: When you enter someone's house you say "ojamashimasu" which translates to "I'm going to trouble you now". In such a polite society, you're apologizing just for walking into their house. I love the insanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you. Such details! Yes, Chickie should blog. But the conversation must have been just rich.
Freddie - on Mother's Day we discussed (Scott, Carrie and I) Sue F's business - creating custom made coloring books. I thought it would be fun to have a few photos turned into colorable sheets for Bella. Our first one was going to be WHEN FREDDIE MET BELLA. Thought we left it at: we'll get back to you, with a soupcon of Scott might want to put together one for Bella hisself.