Friday, September 08, 2006

Movie Report

In my life, there have been a few movies that for one reason or another I have not been able to finish. Usually, it's been the third movie of a night and I'm just too tired...

Unlike many people, I don't take not finishing a movie lightly. My mom in law is a total movie sleeper. I can't even wonder what percentage of rented movies she can claim to recall the ending of. No, for me, a movie is a sacred trust: If they're going to make it, I'm going to watch it whatever it takes.

The following movies are my hall of shame:

- XTRO: The not-so-friendly extraterrestrial. Rented no fewer than 5 times before I actually saw the end of it. Oh god why did I even bother. Such a terrible Alien ripoff with hints of ET.

- Videodrome: Rented 4 times before I saw the end. That was actually pretty interesting.

- Scanners: Rented 3 times, have not seen the end, as far as I can recall.

- Crocodile Dundee: Rented once. Have not seen the end.

- Dream a Little Dream: Rented once. Gave it 20 minutes before the Coreys wore out their welcome.

- The Libertine: No guilt about this one. You read my review a few weeks back.

- THX1138: Tried twice back in the late 1980s. FINALLY watched the new re-release tonight and loved it. George Lucas actually CAN make a good movie.

And that's the story.

(PS - Pamela asked what movie I was watching: I said "THX1138". Without knowing what that was, she just said "that sounds like a movie I would not be interested in". She knows her taste, that lady. And she's right in this case. It it was about two robots in Victorian England who are afraid to show their emotions because they come from different social classes, with lots of dropping on cyber-hankerchiefs and techno-bustles, perhaps. But as for dystopian futuristic psychodramas, meh, not so much for the Pamela.)

No comments: