Friday, October 12, 2007

A the back of the week

Oof - a long week this was. With the water heater nonsense in the beginning, coming off a busy birthday weekend for Bella, a continuing poor sleeper in Isaac, and Bella waking up hollering two nights from growing pains in her legs... Not to mention a week of mild frustrations at work:

- I had thought I had everything engineered for a tidy "big bang" rollout of much of our remaining work in December and January - it would have been busy, but very do-able. Who puts the kibosh on this? The vendor. Nobody is available to take care part X of the project until February. Apparently they're hemorrhaging people after having been acquired by a bigger company.

- My kind and mild mannered boss looks about to be downsized (a big meeting will be on tuesday), which will leave my boss-ship adrift. Her only hope is to keep working until February, which is when she can retire with full benefits. Surely what is a couple of months in the context of a 40 year career? Truthfully, it's got me worried.

- The new opportunity, while not a full "offer" yet, is beginning to take shape (quite attractive shape at that), and if I could possibly be free of the client by February, that would be advantageous. With both of the above, I have my doubts... and I'd hate to burn a bridge.

- The diva doctors may be wearing on me: The place was abuzz this morning because the doctor on call last night missed his password 3 times and got locked out. A 2 minute call to the help desk would have reset it, but he refused - "that's not how I work". My other favorite doctor has taken to muttering about needing a sledgehammer whenever he walks near the new workstation.

- The "missed requirement" I spoke about last week is still missing, and the vendor has decided to put fingers in their ears and say "lalala", even to my clever idea. So my only real option is to tell the doctors they need to change. Please see the above anecdote for an indication of how well that will work.

Ok that's worklife. Homelife: Both Bella AND Isaac got shots today - they had their 5 and 1 year checkups respectively, and Pamela was stuck in the doctor's office for 2 hours. Bella got completely freaked out about the shots, hiding under a chair pleading with Pamela. Isaac was just Isaac. They're both sore tonight, and motrin is a good thing. The doctor was full of brass tacks comments about just putting in earplugs and letting Isaac cry it out in the night. In truth, he's not eating that much - one is a diaper change, and one is a cuddle usually.

A not very busy weekend is on tap and I'm thrilled. I actually plan to be in bed by 9pm tonight.

No comments: