Friday, March 21, 2008

Cozy

Last night, we drove down to Chicagoland for the Easter Weekend, ahead of the snowstorms. As usual, Isaac had a very hard time falling asleep in the rented minivan - staying up well past 9. We pulled just after midnight, bleary eyed, but happy to be here. When we awoke around 7, the world was white with big flakes of snow - it was a GOOD IDEA to have left last night.

Today, even with the weather, we had to run out to get some solid Chicago-style food: An amazing italian combo from Johnnie's beef. The proprietor, the garrulous Frankie, is a friend of Papa's. He heard that I was from out of town and had never tried his friday special: A sandwich with eggs scrambled with green peppers. Next thing we knew, another sandwich was sent to our table.

Alas, regular readers will recall the "christmas miracle" from 2006, where my allergies mysteriously disappeared for the entire week of the visit. No such luck this time around: My nose is red and runny, and my head is full of cotton. I've used my inhaler for the first time since the fall. We'll just have to see how this goes.

I had a strange thing happen as I ran out to grab dinner for the house: No gloves, and I had to do some ice clearing, but nothing I hadn't done before... The total trip was less than 20 minutes. But when I came into the house, two fingers were pale white and had no feeling. I ran them under warm water and they recovered.... but it was very odd!

Finally, it's been a lazy day - Both Pamela and I got NAPS, which seemed impossibly luxurious - thank goodness for people in the house watching the kiddies!

So not an earth shattering update, but we are safe and sound in Chicagoland, my nose is running, we're taking naps, I'm eating wonderfully bad-for-me chicago food, and now it's time for bed.

No comments: