Saturday, March 08, 2008

A Saturday

I woke up this AM with one eye sealed shut with gunk... and once I pried the lid open, I found an angry pink orb staring back. Yes, somehow pink eye came into my life. Having just seen Knocked Up with a hilarious Pink Eye reference, i immediately looked to see if anyone had farted on my pillow, but nobody fessed up to that.

I caught an immediate appointment at the Minute Clinic, who without hesitation prescribed the eyedrops, and I've been bathing my eyeballs with powerful antibiotics all day.

This morning was "Dads and Donuts" at the Family Center where Bella and Isaac to preschool (and pre-pre-preschool in the case of Isaac), which was basically open gym time for 90 minutes with donuts and coffee. It was wonderful, and the kids ran around like maniacs. Of course, four walls can't contain Isaac, so he spent a fair amount of time running OUT of the gym, up the hall and towards the parking lot... He also enjoyed two donut holes, so he was a bit jacked up.

After that, Bella went out with Jenny to get their "sister portraits" done - they've taken a formal portrait every year together. Isaac and I had a nap, then I cleaned up the joint a little.

Tonight we finally had that dinner with the Swedes, and it was wonderful: Bella played well with the girls, and Isaac was a complete maniac all evening, but still we had good conversation and lots of laughs. I pulled out a few bits of Swedish for them, and was horrified to learn that the version of Swedish I had been learning was a bit formal and staid, a bit grandmotherly. They had a good round of raised eyebrows and giggles when I asked for my coffee black as "en slät kopp koffe" instead of "en svart kopp koffe" - While slät is technically usable, it's practically in "23 skidoo" territory in terms of currency.

Anyway, it's good to know that the book I'm using is perhaps not the most current and excellent language... and perhaps I'll look for other sources!!! But hearing them chattering in Swedish to their kids was inspirational and made me want to keep learning... it's such a beautiful language. And yes, I did get a FEW of the things they were saying to eachother.... ;->

It's time to spring forward and lose that hour of sleep, so I imagine I'll be hitting that hay a bit earlier than usual, so good night!

No comments: