Friday, March 21, 2008

On anonymity

At my new job, one of the duties is to serve as the final interviewer for incoming consultant candidates: I do around 2 a week, and it's good to have people like us doing the interview, since we're responsible for selling AND making sure the clients are happy. So far, mine have been 50-50 hire or no-thank-you, which isn't a bad ratio all things considered.

But in two cases, I've had candidates who had done their homework on the company... and not just the company, but on ME (my name is on the invite for the interview), so I've been "googled". Now, I've looked up what happens when you google me, and it's pretty innocuous (some old music stuff mostly, and a couple of articles for healthcare publications).

Which is why I don't use last names, nor do I use company names in this blog - not that there's anything INTENSELY personal here - nothing I wouldn't want my mother to read (hi mom!), not anything libelous toward anywhere I'm working (though the "troubles" with my last client would probably be embarrassing if the full names were out there).

But there's a part of my life that is public, and I think it's important for the people I write about to know that I'm protecting ALL of our privacy here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous it is. I won't bring up the Boba Fett pjs. Or the hat with antlers.