Friday, March 28, 2008

A vision of the future

In the philly airport, killing a few hours before my flight, all of us business travelers are roaming up and down the aisles looking for an open power outlet - of which there are only 2 for every 1000 square feet, half of which are not live. I have secured a "sweet spot" with a chair, off the beaten path. Others are on the floor or standing behind abandoned desks hoping that not EVERYTHING has been turned off.

More than one have come around the corner and viewed my position with envy. I imagine that as the afternoon goes on, the envy may turn darker, and I may need to defend myself.

Philly wound up being very productive: Good meetings at the primary client, and then an unexpected call from another lead in town to "drop by if I have time" - natch I made the time and got some good leads.

When I checked in last night, they had me down for a "midget bed" and were surprised to learn I was not, in fact, a midget. (can you say midget these days? Or only in reference to old MG cars?) They gave me a "hospitality suite" instead, which is essentially a 1500 sq foot party room with a full living room. I've had smaller apartments (much smaller). It was completely wasted on me, since I checked in at midnight and left at 7:30am

Oh, and it's not ALL bad food in my life: for lunch, my philly contact took us to a great "local agriculture" place where everything on the menu is from within 100 miles or something. I had a goat cheese and carmelized onion quiche and a side salad. Deeeee lish. Funny thing: The place was made for "sustainability", and the owner decided to hire only educated types who believed in the vision, and paid living wages... So naturally the place was shut down for a while a year later when the workers unionized and went on strike.

Looking forward to the weekend!

No comments: