Friday, March 14, 2008

Two Bits tangentially involving Fred Rogers

1) As Bella was drifting off the other night, Pamela fielded this query:
"With six millipn people in the world, how come some of them need to die?"

Pamela paused and started with: "There's always new people being born..."

Bella interrupted:
"Yeah, I think baby Macey (her new birth-cousin) probably replaced Mister Rogers."

She's got it all figured out.

2) The car wash I love has a blue macaw named Seaweed in an open pen near the cash register. They treat this bird well, and there are always new toys for it to play with. As I walked up, Seaweed was rather ferociously trying to untangle a string of beads and was a bit flustered. I've certainly never touched the bird, and he always seems to keep his distance from the customers.

On the TV near the register, they were playing Mister Rogers, and as I watched a yo yo expert try to show Fred and Bob Trow how to "walk the dog", I caught a brilliant blueness out of the corner of my eye.

Seaweed had crept up on me, and grabbed hold of my sleeve with his beak. He then pulled one leg up onto my arm, keeping one on his perch, and was looking me right in the eye, clacking his beak. I reached out with my gloved hand, and he gave me a few knuckle gnaws.

I told him he was a good bird, but that I needed to go now, and I helped him back onto his perch and waved goodbye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two wonderful tales told beautifully. I brought the Bella story to the storytellers who met at Hennepin Meth Lab (no not really - it's a church) this morning. We agree she has it all figger'd out.....