Thursday, June 12, 2008

A few impressions

I was in Seattle the past 2 days, and I got to revisit my favorite Sushi place of all time and space - Izumi in Kirkland. I met up with Paul out there, and we spent a couple of hours bellied up to the sushi bar being fed wave after wave of insanely delicious sushi. It all started with Paul saying "how about some Salmon", and the chef rattled off no fewer that 8 different kinds of Salmon he was serving. cutting out the smoked varieties, we settled on 6 different kinds and cuts of fish, from lean and savory to fatty and creamy. Izumi cuts their fish very generously (there's at least as much fish off the rice as on...) and every bite was delicious.

Of course we also chatted about our previous business and creative ventures (Brainready, Roamfi, Project Manager, and others), and began to lay the framework for the next phases of our creative endeavors.

Backing up: On the way to Seattle, we took a very long route around the runways, and for a few minutes I was treated to the view of people doing fire suppression training: A good half dozen silver suited people standing in front of a burned out husk of a plane (the trainer plane - not a real accident), with a wildly raging fuel fire they were spraying foam onto. It was quite the scene really. The flight itself was very very bumpy, but I had been "bumped" to first class, so I survived in style.

Fast forward: I had a meeting this morning with a prospect in Tacoma who simply had not answered any of my emails or calls for the past 4 months, but suddenly decided to respond and meet. It was a very positive meeting, especially when we got to my "pet project" of data analytics - she got very excited and by the end of the conversation, we were making plans for me to come out again to talk to her team about my ideas... She said she'd got similar pitches from other vendors, but none had the enthusiasm and passion for the subject I showed, and she was very impressed.

So the Jimmy Effect is still at work here.

On the home front: Bella went to a 3 day "camp" at the Arboretum, and had that "serene smile" going on every day: That girl does love the nature. Also, out of nowhere, she has decided she likes Eggrolls. I brought some home tonight and she gobbled one up without question. I didn't want to mention the cabbage, beansprouts, shitake mushrooms, and chicken she was enjoying - she just went for it. Late last week, she packed a chicken springroll (with rice noodles, cilantro, and beansprouts) without question either. Absolutely bizarre, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Isaac continues to confound with his eating: His sadness/teething may have subsided for a bit (which had put him off food entirely for a few days), but he's still not eating MUCH, nor is he eating things predictably: He chowed down a ton of fried rice a few days back, but then refused it entirely tonight. But he did have a few tentative nibbles on the egg roll tonight... reminding me of the night a year back when he ate most of a potsticker, but never repeated the feat. The man is a "taster" - not an "eater".

We're off tomorrow for a 4 day weekend to Grandview with grandma and grandpa - we're staying in a 3 BR condo which should be very fun. The moment we return, I'm off to Philly for 2 nights... I don't imagine we'll be doing Morimoto's again, however. That was a bit on the pricey side of town.

My final observation tonight: I have heard the word "escape" pronounced "eck-scape" many times in the past week - during E-Learnings for work, during the pre-flight announcements... I'm starting to wonder if I should just give up and accept that this word is not what it once was. Sigh. People.

No comments: