Saturday, June 28, 2008

A JimVention

So I'm a guy who likes to eat... and I'm a particular fan of Reubens... hot sandwiches in general. But I have a huge frustration: That hot sandwich sitting on that hot plate creates a condensation issue which invariably leads to a sogginess on the bottom. If that sandwich has sat for any period of time prior to coming to me, it can be disastrous.

The first thing I do is flip the sandwich: All that does is prevent MORE sogginess, but it unfortunately cannot reverse the sogginess that has already crept in. So I got an idea.

The Sandwich Trivet.

A sandwich sized grate, like a cookie baking cooling tray, with small lets that elevate it up a centimeter or so. It could be metal, it could be bamboo, but the key is that is has very little surface area contact with the sandwich: A 7" square piece of wood with 9 small holes cut into it wouldn't vent enough. A fine packed screen mesh would have too much surface contact I think. 2mm metal rods in a wide spaced grid?

It would be appropriate for grilled cheese, burgers, reubens (and rachels), really any grilled or hot sandwich. I'm thinking the target market is restaurants, since that's where I have the bulk of my sog issues. There could be a cardboard model for takeout containers... I draw the line at a plastic model: Who would want that coming to their table, and who would want to see that in a takeout container in these environmentally sensitive times?

So I ask you the readers of the blog - is this an idea whose time has come - should I create this trivet and market it - or is my particular insanity unique to myself, and you all are just fine with a limp, floppy bottom to your burger? And if you DO like it, have you any good ideas on how to start MAKING this thing?

No comments: