Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wall-E

I loved WALL-E. Now, of course you say "Jimmy we know all about you and robots, so this is no big surprise". True true. I will cop to the long time love of robots, and a movie with excellent robots is bound to be a hit with me. But I will counter than the movie "Robots", while also about robots, was far less satisfying. While "Robots" was basically a "people movie" with robots, with the standard pop culture references that make no sense in context, WALL-E was a robot movie about robots, and sort of about people. Sort of.

I won't get into the full review here, but I will enumerate some of the things I loved and will try not to spoil anything for anyone:

1) All of the robot sounds. (there is very little "English" in the movie, but a lot of "language" - it's pure artistry)
2) The characters of these bots - Wall-E, Eve, Mo, the bug, the giant eyeball thing... These things with no "lines" have amazing personalities.
3) Hello Dolly as a central theme?
4) Fred Willard
5) Sigourney Weaver
6) The Apple references throughout.

7) The most slapstick and hilarious Pixar Short ever opens the movie. It was pure Roadrunner in its inventiveness.

I should note that two recently loved movies, "I Am Legend" and "Idiocracy" both had central themes that were scarily present in this movie... and it was wonderful.

I won't write any more about the movie except to say that Bella asked to see it again, and I'm going to take her as soon as possible. I highly recommend this beautiful movie.

No comments: