Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Safe, sound, and so forth

Pamela got back just fine yesterday morning, and was greeted at baggage claim by loving husband and excited children. Alas, I had to run off to a full day of work shortly after bringing the clan back home... but the kids were so happy to have mom home they barely noticed my leaving... Fortunately a babysitter had been arranged, so that Pamela had an opportunity to rest up, considering she had been up since 4 to get home on a 6:30 flight... and insomnia had wracked her bones prior to 4.

By the time I returned at a somewhat late 6:30 (but with peacemaking curry in hand), the kids were literally falling apart, so it was full triage mode. Isaac did eat a curried potato samosa, which fit with his strange dietary tendencies just right. Bella was profoundly not interested in the curry.

This morning, I made an appearance at Time Out for Bodystep, which got my blood going for the day ahead. I got to brag a little about doing the routine without guidance, and they let me know that a new release is coming next week... Time to start over with the learning! (you know I love it)

I came home to find Isaac again in a sad state - his 4 teeth cutting at once is really messing with his attitude. He tries to be brave. On the plus side, he's so worn out that he's been assenting to cuddle a bit, so it's not ALL bad. Then it was off to the airport - yes, I'm on the road: Portland for one night, Sacramento for another. This weekend, we have guests on the 3rd floor, so I guess we just strap in and make this stuff happen.

In good news: iTunes now has a pack of all 12 Roadrunner cartoons for download, which I did indeed download, and I shared one with Bella: She thought it was one of the funniest things she'd ever seen, and demanded to see more. As I rewatched them with her, I was paralyzed with amusement - the crackpot physics are so completely amazing to watch: My favorite is where Coyote is on roller skates, with a bathtub full of water strapped to his back, with an outboard motor in the water. He fires it up, and moves forward... completely violating every law of physics there is. Newton would have a stroke.

Speaking of Newton - in Kindle News I finally finished Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle - all 3 monstrous books (in slim Kindle form). It was actually quite rewarding, and in the end a ripping yard. You can tell that Neal was getting a bit impatient to finish - the last 200 pages or so were quite economically written and to-the-point. But now I'm looking forward to his next book due in the fall, about which NOTHING is known... As long as it's not a "clan of the cave bear" pre-language grunting book, I'll be ok, I'm sure.

A quick Portland note: I had the most amazing donut ever. I walked over to Voodoo Doughnuts (12 blocks from my hotel) and had one of their legendary Glazed Maple and Bacon donuts: A maple longjohn with a strip of crispy bacon. The maple glaze was slightly tart like real maple syrup, not oversweet, and the bacon was perfect, on top of an airy pillow... oh goodness was it delicious. www.voodoodoughnut.com if you don't believe me, suckas. I'm planning to get up early tomorrow and take a run (the time zone favors me here, though my 6am CST workouts are also pretty nuts) and it'll be pretty hard not to stop in there for a quick "health undo".

I'm off downstairs to meet with the consultant who I got placed out here to both welcome him aboard and get as much inside info from him about the new client as I can get through legal and decent means. I'm prepared to use Steak and Martinis if necessary, I'm that serious.

3 comments:

The Powells in Portland said...

Neal Stephenson's next book: It features some music - sung by some of the singers from Portland's own Cappella Romana (http://www.cappellaromana.org). Cheers,

Mark Powell
(singer of said music for Neal's new book)
Executive Director
Cappella Romana
Voices of Byzantium
http://www.cappellaromana.org

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

I LOVE the Roadrunner Cartoons.
One that sticks out in my mind was when the ACME company sent a bill collector after the Coyote because he ran up such a large unpaid balance on his account.
I'd love an ACME catalog!

I like most of the Warner Bros. cartoons- Buggs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd, and pals.
They truly don't make em like that anymore.

Dave Gratz

Jimmy B said...

1) Thanks for the info Mark P! A book with a soundtrack... should be interesting!

2) Dave - They really don't make them like Warner Bros used to... It's up to us to ruin our own kids' minds with this stuff!