Monday, March 13, 2006

After the love...

So... we got CREAMED by 8 inches of heavy snow last night, but the show must go on, so we disentombed the cars, shoveled the walks and off I went to work.... Where surprisingly EVERYONE else actually WAS - so meetings went on as planned, work life was as a normal day.

During a late morning break, I loaded up the ipod with my german interview podcasts and walked to the adjoining hospital (where they serve the NAKED brand of thickjuice, which is much superior to the ODWALLA brand which they sell at my cafe). On the way back, I passed a wall of windows and saw Dick, the CEO of the multimillion dollar healthcare chain standing there on the phone.

Apparently in a move toward "accessibility", they decided that the CEO should have a transparent office that anyone could walk up to and press some ham on the glass... Fascinating. Of course I had walked past the office a dozen times and never seen anyone in there, so perhaps it's not such an invasive plan after all.

Since I was snowed in, I decided to eat at the cafe that has served as the basis for too many of my posts. I'm here to report that while the Espresso was delicious, the sandwich was a confused mess. It was an "italian panini". But no salami? Just ham and capiccola, and the capiccola was spectacularly TOUGH, like HAM JERKY. Three leaves of spinach and two weary slices of roma tomato, no sauce, no vinagrette, no joie de vivre.

This evening after slip sliding home, I decided to check on my dad's house - he never asks me to shovel, but I like to check when he's out of town. I got there, and yes, it had been freshly snowblowed. But in the process of checking it out, I got my car well stuck in a snowdrift - DANG IT MINNEAPOLIS and your "snow emergency" plowing regs. Here in Edina, we were plowed out by 8am. The whole dang city.

Two pedestrians pushed me out, which was wonderful - and once back in the "tire grooves" that pass for Minneapolis' "plowed streets", I stopped the car, lept out and thanked the profusely. That's one of those things that I always feel strongly about - I don't like that feeling when you pushed someone out, and they just TAKE OFF with the little wave.... Ah well.

The West Wing rewarded us last night (but come on, if Donna and Josh don't just get FREAKY by the end, I'm giving up on humanity) Tonight we watch the Sopranos. awwww YEAH.

No comments: