Monday, March 27, 2006

Back to the Coffee Shop.... the shocking twist

Don't worry - I'll only be at this site for 4 more days, after which the Coffee Shop Updates will cease.

I went up to get my double today, and again one of the "girls who make the sandwiches" was helping me out, again appreciative of the simplicity of my order (and inadvertently giving me a QUAD in the process). I commented that I hadn't seen Ryan for while, and they gave me a look.... and said "he's gone.... and from what I heard, there was trouble".

The sweet guy with the chemo? I started thinking - man, maybe this is a health insurance thing, and those evil managers got tired of paying for his expenses and came up with a way to cut costs... I had all sorts of theories.

Well, later on, I was in the lobby and saw the "OTHER girl who makes the sandwiches", who stopped me to ask me where I've been (because I hadn't been down there in a while...). I mentioned that I was surprised not to see Ryan, and she spilled the beans. He disappeared. They were roommates.... and he just up and left one day. And he was addicted to painkillers. And he may have lifted from the till, and certainly walked off with a bunch of her stuff...

I told her how sad I was to hear about that, and that I had friends who had gone through this as well, and perhaps it's just as well that he's not in the house right now... I also told her that this was my last week at the site, and that I would sure miss that whole crew.

What a terrible end to the Coffee Shop saga... Thinking about it, these are people who I just talked to a little bit every day, and I wound up knowing a lot about their world... and it is just strange to think that this sort of drama can be lurking under just about any situation out there.

No comments: