Thursday, July 05, 2007

Delightful Daffyness

Three things to mention today:

1) I got to do one of my very favorite things in the world today: I got some old friends set up with a spanking new Macintosh, set up their email, set up iTunes, ripped a CD, got their printer working, showed them the web, and left them to discover the fun. I had helped them get Mac-ified over 5 years ago with a candy iMac, but they had never hooked it up to the big web. Now they're out there. My mom set them up with their first incoming email, and their first internet meme: The "Dramatic Chipmunk". I couldn't think of a better inauguration.

2) Speaking of Mom: It is no secret that we have had our differences throughout our lives - things are up, things are down, and we adapt. I am happy that recently things have been pretty up. But through it all, one thing that I have always been able to rely upon has been a movie recommendation from her:

It was she who had us over for Christmas one night and showed us Die Hard - a fine christmas movie if there ever was one. It was she who took me and my best friends to see "Car Wash" for my 10th or 11th birthday. She showed me the genius of Val Kilmer in Real Genius, a role he still has not done better than. She BOUGHT me Repo Man so I could watch it 20 times with friends and annoy the world by quoting it. And it was she who said "you will enjoy Ghost Rider".

I have just spent two delightfully daffy hours watching Nicolas Cage go "Awww GAWRSH" while turning into a flame headed demon, going after someone who looked like a goth Cory Haim (the internets say it's Wes Bentley....) and avoiding a very creepy Peter Fonda. It was far more fun than it had any right to be. And yet.. do I recommend it? I'm not too sure there are many with my exact movie DNA who would get it the same way. It may just be a family thing. And yes, Nic Cage is looking pretty good these days. It is true.

3) As I ate dinner tonight, I had a dessert of a nectarine. As I ate it, the following statement came to mind: This thing is so dang juicy, I'm considering pressing charges.

I don't know exactly what that means, but it came through loud and clear, and I felt like sharing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww. She was a very odd woman, your mother. I read your words as one might read an obit, curious about that life. "Car Wash" is in the same "Do Over" category as Wallace the Weather Bear. Also in it is "Excalibur" - which was more explicit than I'd ever dreamed myth could be....on screen. But Aaron couldn't get over the land coming to life as Arthur and his men rode, so it was worth it for his awe. My own mother was repeating some of my sister's (Kathy) adjustment tales now that Tom is retired. I told her that I'd advised my sister not to continually call her children with updates (although Bry and Megs can certainly take care of themselves) and especially not start calls with "When your father dies...." Mother told me that a decent person would have the good sense to forget she ever said those things. Moms. I just can't figure them out. Love your writings.