Monday, July 23, 2007

The New Gig

Some observations from my short time of full time at the new gig.

1) People are either available immediately or in 3 weeks. I have had people from the CIO on down either say "well, come on up - I'm open", and if not that, then "We're looking at November for that".

2) We are empowered to DO things. We need to cram a computer in a conference space, and we started down the path of looking for tables in the common areas to hijack... I suggested getting a wall mount with extendable arms like I've used in ORs in years past... my boss went to the website, said "cool" and directed me to configure it and get it ordered. Everywhere else I've worked, this would have taken a committee to decide on this.

Similarly, it was noticed that I don't have a printer in my office. So they gave me a catalog and told me to order one up. I did go for color laser, but decided for the cheap model.

3) We are an excuse for people getting things done they've wanted to for years: One manager finally moved around 6 cubic feet of old video equipment out of a room (not even in an area we were going to use) to get "ready" for our install... Another area is knocking out cupboards they've never liked to make room for our system... again, a place they asked for, but we doubt will be well used. But they're happy.

4) Though they are a big place, they are one person deep on ANY decision... but the key is to find the right person. It's possible to send an email to the wrong person and get no action, no forwarding and no love for weeks. But an email to the person right next to them will get you what you need within minutes. This is an institution that thrives on the "it's who you know" system. Fortunately, I am pretty good at navigating the who you know networks... and usually I become a who you know nexus point. So we'll just see how I do here.

5) Nobody, and I mean nobody really knows what my job is - but they're glad I'm doing it, and think I'm doing it well.

6) I love being in downtown again. Even though it's 6 blocks to the heart of downtown and it's a little hot on the street, it's still great to take the walk to be in the thick of people, and to feel like part of a city.

And that's my report on the new gig.

No comments: