Wednesday, August 12, 2009

In the Hood

Mid-afternoon, the entire network went down at my client site. The whole data center lost power, which you can imagine was a BAD THING for the hospital. Some infrastructure guy will be in trouble. But on a personal level, that meant I couldn't access any of the systems or documents I needed, so I decided to head out early to the Airport where there IS a network at least. That was the plan.

I stood at the train station, and at the exact right moment according to the schedule, a train pulled up and a bunch of people got on. I followed them all on and sat down. When the man came to take my ticket, he gently let me know I was on the WRONG train. "Get off at the next stop, go to the other side, ride the next train BACK, and try again". He even gave me a free ticket for the ride back.

I got off, walked around, and waited patiently for a while... and a while longer... and then I decided "nuts to this, I'll just take a cab". Philly is a walk around and find a cab sort of town so I went up to the street and looked for a busy street to walk toward. I picked LEFT and started walking. As I walked, I started noticing that the neighborhood was not very good. Not good at all. Lots of shirtless men walking around, lurking on street corners. Lots of boarded up houses. Lots of police cars, not so many Cabs. Eyes were following the misfit in the button down shirt and rolling suitcase.

Around 4 blocks in, I found a safe haven - a Water-Ice stand (Philly's unique treat - it's sort of like Mister Mistee meets Gelato: No dairy, cool and refreshing, and a recipe for an instant "cold eye".) I went in, got a $1 blueberry water ice, and called a cab. The operator had me repeat the address a few times, with a bit of incredulity in her voice.

5 min later, a cabbie called - he wanted to confirm that I really did want a cab, and that if he came, I'd really be there. YES.

When he arrived, he looked me up and down and said "What on EARTH are you doing down here, man?" I told him, and he said "Man, you're in the middle of Beirut, brother. Good thing it's not dark". For the whole ride to the airport, the guy kept looking in the rear view mirror, and laughing, shaking his head.

Apparently I was in a not very good part of town. Got it. Next time, I'll either WAIT for the train, or just get on the RIGHT ONE to start with.

So I've been complaining about the heavy laptop bag in connection with the long walk. Yesterday it hit mid-nineties in Philly, with high humidity, and I had a Jersey meeting, so I was in a suit too. By the time I collapsed in my hotel room, I was pretty wiped out, and I think my muscles were a bit strained. When I woke up today, my arms and back were in a good bit of pain, which stuck with me all day. While complaining to my lovely wife while killing time at the Airport, she suggested I look for one of those "quick massage" areas.

I found one, and I'm so happy. I got a 30 minute deep tissue assault, and 15 minutes in the robot chair, and my body is feeling every so much better. Not 100% yet, still a little twinge in the neck... but it was a great great great help.

Well, there's a little rain here in Philly, and that means a delayed flight. I was offered the toilet seat on the 5pm flight (middle, last row), and decided to keep my first class seat on the 6:30 flight... which became a 7:15 flight.... which is now looking to be a 7:45 flight.... But I'll hit ground before 10pm at least.

And then it's off to the lake tomorrow. YES.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are safe. Angels, take care of that boy of mine, please.

Have a glorious time at the lake.