Thursday, April 06, 2006

It's different up north.

Yesterday I had a very short lunch break between meetings, and so the travelers took me to Wendy's. Now I haven't been to a Wendy's for many many years, but I did remember that there was something about them making your burger just the way you want it, and you were supposed to tell them how you like it.

We walked up and Jen (one of the travelers) let the small, older woman behind the counter know that all four of us are on one bill. The woman looked fearful, and said "allright, I need to clear out these orders then!" After a few minutes of busywork, she carefully set up 4 trays, and braced herself. I could tell, she was a person who was easily upset.

So I'm ordering. I start with a Spicy Chicken Filet. I have to repeat myself several times as the lady looked for the right button. No, not a combo, just the sandwich. And a single burger... with lettuce, onions, tomato, ketchup..... she has stopped pushing buttons and is looking at me with dread - apparently I am not ordering this right. She says "just tell me what you DON'T want on it". I tell her I don't know what DOES come on it, could she tell me? She just looks at me as though I am some sort of alien, and have asked for a cup of oxygen. Apparently she will NOT be telling me what is on the standard sandwich. We stare at eachother for a minute.

I move first - OK I'll take everything except cheese and mayo, whatever else that entails is fine with me. BEEP. I see she has rung up cheese. She heard cheese and ordered it. At this point I know enough that to take that cheese off, she's going to need a manager. Now I am just looking to end this transaction. I will not argue about the cheese. I WILL NOT.

Fine fine fine. She looks past me to the next customer, and I say "could I also get a cup of water?" She literally pushes back from the register and throws up her hands in horror.

All the while, my three companions are watching this with ill concealed mirth. After me, Jode walks up and says slowly and clearly "Number 7 with a Coke, Please". He gives me the raised eyebrows and a smirk.

As I ate my unwanted cheeseburger, I reflected - what had I done wrong? I had gone off script - I had dared to take them up on their advertising promise of having it "MY WAY". I wasn't a jerk, I was just confused!!!!

As we went back to the car, the travelers lit up their cigarettes, and chastened, I said "I'll be good next time".

No comments: