Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Are you my mommy?

Day one of the new gig was the typical exercise in disorganization: I did get my parking, my id badge, my network, and my email set up (yes, another client email address which I will discourage people from using). But what I didn't get was a boss or any work direction...

Me: "Hi, I'm Jim, and I'll be doing Environment management and change control"
Someone: "GREAT! We really need your help! You've got a lot to do!"
Me: "Glad to help - can you point me towards my first task?"
Someone: "Actually, I'm not managing you, and I'm not sure who is... Sorry!"

Repeat several times throughout the day. I felt like the little chick in that children's book "Are you my Mommy?"

Some co-workers have warned that things move pretty slowly here, so not to worry about a lack of direction yet... but as you all know I like to have my work, and uncertaintly like this does get to me.

As cavalier as I've been about this change in work, I confess it does have me nervous to be starting something new like this, and the uncertainty got me a bit wigged out... fortunately Pamela was able to talk me through it, and I'm much calmer today.

On the plus side, I've already been welcomed into a "go to lunch" gang - which I confess I had NOT had for the past 3 years - 3 years of eating lunch with a book or newspaper. It was pretty cool.

No comments: