Saturday, May 13, 2006

Always backing it up...

So indulge a geeky post: Pamela's iMac was more or less fully recovered. The backup drive that finally gave up the ghost, I reformatted again, and tried to start using it to back up. It cacked out and disappeared AGAIN, and I tossed it. I got online and bought a pair of new backup drives - one for upstairs, one for the iMac. Big, new, cool machines.

They backed up Pamela's imac happily... but then after 3 days, refused to back up! Oh no - more haunted computers? No - it turns out this time that the actual interface on the iMac is flakey. Fortunately, I switched to a different port and it's working fine again, but dang it, it's just one more thing. But it's so esoteric, I don't know if bringing it back to Apple will get it fixed (or me a new computer) because it'll work for a while, and then flip out.

Anyway, so we all know, I'm backing up everything nightly now. The only problem is that one of the things I LOST in the crash was our new Mac website template, and I'll have to recreate the whole thing. SIGH.

And so I tell you: Back it up, people, back it up. I shall be the faded old man in the supermarket at 90 telling you to back up your data as you attempt to ascertain the fresheness of the vegetables. I will be the ghostly whisper from a malfunctioning am radio warning you... back up that data.

I was lucky - 105 gig of music (27000 tracks) and 30 gig of pictures (17,000 pics and movies) is not an inconsequential amount of data to lose. I was lucky to get it all back.

No comments: