Thursday, May 25, 2006

Forgot to mention

Thomas Dolby was fantastic the other night. There were over 150 IT Professionals on the scene, not a face under 30 guaranteed... The room was only half full truth be told. But Thomas played a good show, and had some good banter with the crowd. He promised to be back in the fall with a new album, which was news to us... there was certainly no new music in his set.

He played a lot of my favorites, and he had set it up that he made a one-man-synth-show seem as "live" as it possibly could. He was always doing something - always playing a part or singing, or both. He made little mistakes, and it was charming. He seemed like a nice guy up there.

Nick and I had tried to get him to come out for Sushi beforehand, but Thomas was deep in his "zone" playing with his gear. I heard he did this in Portland too - noodling from setup right until his warmups started. I need to respect that work ethic. Of course Nick and I had a great dinner, so in the end, it was his loss.

A telling moment from the show - lost in the groove of Europa and the Pirate Twins, I caught myself doing an air-keyboard move, keying the melody as though I was on stage. And the guy in front of me was doing it too.

No comments: