Thursday, May 25, 2006

A strange dream

Last night was marked by horrible insomnia - I think that these workouts are pumping my energy level up to the point that sleep seems irrelevant. Still, when I did sleep, I had the following dream:

Pamela and I are looking for an apartment to rent. We find one, and it's everything we could have wanted... high ceilings, already decorated in a very West-Elm clean-lines manner. I'm walking around... and notice that the back room seems to keep on going back.

I walk back and find myself in an arty "food court". I turn back and see a large lobby, which I know to be the Walker Art Center. I walk out into the lobby, turn back towards the "apartment", and realize that one full wall of the apartment is actually glass, and that this apartment is actually an installation, and we're being invited to be the 'real couple" living on display.

I walk back into the apartment, and sure enough, I can see out into the lobby - strange that I couldn't before. I'm about to have a talk with Pamela, who is checking out the bookshelf/sofa combination (it really IS a great apartment), when a man I know to be the curator of the Walker comes in.

He is 9 feet tall with a caesar haircut and tiny round glasses, gay as a tangerine and German as the pope, wearing a white linen suit and saddle shoes. His partner is almost the exact same as him, only with black hair, a dark, lapel-less suit (nehru style?), and sunglasses.

The curator is effusive in his excitement, and fawns over us, declaring us an IDEAL couple for this installation, and of COURSE we're going to move in, he won't hear otherwise. For a moment, I bask in his enthusiastic energy, but in a flash, he is off to charm someone else, and I am left feeling somewhat dissatisfied.

Just before awaking, I recall perusing the rental contract - I mean if I'm going to the trouble of moving in, this had better not be a 3 month lease - I don't want to move again that soon. And they can forget about a security deposit - heck, we're doing THEM a favor!

Around that time I did wake up. Because my insane daughter woke up at 5:30.

No comments: