Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Up up and Away

The last day has been a bit crazy. I had settled into a more involved role at the new client, doing technical management for the big rollout coming up in October, and also starting my interim CIO role at the friend's company.

But tomorrow, I was called into the CIO's office of The Client. Turns out they have had issues with the overall project manager (in charge of all aspects of the big rollout - managing 70 people), and wanted to know if I'd be able to take it on.

Take on a multimillion dollar project that has already been pushed 6 months at a cost of >$2m less than 5 months before golive? Sure! Why not?

Referencing an earlier posting of mine: He said that they had been impressed by my tendency to ask questions, take on new work, and by my personality, and that they thought the team would do well under me. So I'm not the only one noticing the B-Reay Method: Enter client, look for the "fun work", and do it, while being very Jimmy in the process.

This will make for a much busier summer than planned... but I think it'll be lucrative, fun, and it's a GREAT resume builder.

That said, it was an odd day today: For a couple of hours, I was one of 4 people who knew. And then a 5th person found out... the guy I'm replacing. And we all worked through our days... the announcement was not made until after work - 5pm. Sort of stressful. But I am looking forward to coming in bright and early tomorrow and really hitting the ground running!

I tell you, there is no blueprint for the strange things that happen in my career. I am a lucky, lucky man.

No comments: