Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Got to admit...

It's getting better. I think that the more I'm busy, the happier I am. So I'm getting busy. Today I was again invited to another meeting well outside of my "job", and wound up really contributing heavily.. to the point that I think there's a good chance they'll give me that project "on the side". Just a little project to figure out how to interface patient monitoring equipment with the electronic health record.

Add to this, there's a public "recognition" board at this place, and I have got two public "kudos" for my help. And I was asked to stay on for a while beyond June. They want me to manage the "Activation" of the project, which really means make sure I know what needs to happen in what order across the entire hospital and manage the "hit list".

Both of these "little" projects are actually pretty massive, and I'm excited to take them on. Add to this there are new people being added to the project who are interesting and smart, and the I can feel the culture of lethargy at that site beginning to turn around. I could start to like this.

Of course even the first thing I was brought in to do (which I am doing well, mind you) was something I hadn't actually DONE before. This whole gig, while it moves frustratingly slow at times, is just a KILLER skill builder. Perhaps the skill it is really teaching me is that I can learn to be patient too...

On a related note, my separation from long-term-client 2 has been sloooow. Finally last week I had to tell them I had no intention of billing them further, and that they need to take me off of the email distribution lists. After a WEEK, I finally got an email back from my old boss, who admitted she didn't want to acknowledge that I was really done with the gig... so we're getting together next week to reminisce.

Amusingly, I'm actually offering free side-advice to another consultant pal who is doing another assessment for them - Sort of a Cyrano de Bergerac situation. ;->

And that's the work update.

No comments: