Monday, October 23, 2006

Krazy Komputer Karma

Months ago when I bought my shiny MacBook, I went online and bought a bigger hard drive and more memory and installed it all myself, as I tend to do. I turned it on.... and.... nothing. I brought it to the Apple Store where my sis-in-law works. The geniuses fixed it as a favor, but let me know they had GRAVE concerns about that hard drive in there. It might overheat they said. They couldn't support it, just so I'd know.

I'm sure you know how this story ends. I'm in a meeting MONTHS later, taking notes on the Macbook, when the spinning ball of doom appears. I click around, futiley - yes, the entire computer is locked up. I reboot, and I hear a sad little "click", see a gray screen, and a flashing question mark. It's dead, Jim.

Do I shake my fists at the heavens? Do I rend my garmets, believing life to be unfair? No. They warned me. It was my own "I KIN DOO EET" hubris that led me here. And I've been smart, and backed up everything regularly - nothing will be lost. This will be a blip on the radar (the replacement drive arrives in 2 days). But It is a continued illustration of the old adage: BACK IT UP, CHUMP!!!!

Geek Break: In the new iTunes, you can browse your collection through the album pictures. My new obsession when I have a free 15 min is to download the cover art to any albums that are missing the art. Considering I have 1770 albums with 21000 songs in my collection, that's a bit of a chore. But I'm getting them in there, and it's really FUN. Trust me on this one.

I've just spent the last two hours with Isaac Party Boy on my lap with him giggling and cooing and smiling, and nothing's going to bother me. He JUST fell asleep, after being a total party animal, followed by a crabby apple. I think I hear him stirring - I had better keep the typing to a minimum... and maybe catch up on some sleep. Last night was a looong one. He woke up at 3 for food, 4 for poops, and kept me up til 5 for giggles... all while I'm camping out in Bella's little twin bed because she's having bad dreams and wants to be in the big bed, but daddy's too hot, and she doesn't want any covers.... and that's just how the night went.

Tonight, both Mommy and Bella went to bed at 8, and it's just been me and Isaac partying down.

So it's now 11 and time for sleep. For BOTH of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I feel that pain. That grey screen. That question mark. It's strangely familiar. We love that Apple Care but hate being part of their learning curve. The charm of a lap top is irresistable but one place where it is not charming is the lap. These darlins run hot. Isaac is much better on the lap, I am sure. However, I don't have to change the diapers on this.