Thursday, June 01, 2006

The First Day...

Well, my head is spinning - the day started with meetings from 7-noon, then 1-3, and I didn't leave until 5:30. I needed to exercise so I did step aerobics for an hour from 6-7, then got home and it was my turn to tuck Bella in with Stories. I'm only now unwinding from the day, and I'm sure that between the wonder of the day and the workout endorphins, I'll probably be awake for a while.

I did have a transition meeting with the outgoing PM, which was nice. Everybody is feeling a bit strange about how fast it happened, but we're adjusting... I got a lot of warm congratulations, a few high fives... I am feeling 100% supported.

At the end of the day, I walked into the CIO's office and declared success: I made it through one day and nobody had quit on me.

One of the issues that had been raised about the outgoing PM was his communication style. I went around to all of the team leads and took the time to explain how to work with me - that I'm a walk-arounder, that I will want status on the fly, that they can tell me to come back later, that they can ask me questions, and that they can consider me a sounding board AND an advocate - that I'm on their side and that we're all in this to succeed.

I'll be moving to my new super-cube tomorrow, which will be very nice - I can hold tea parties in this thing. Maybe even a rave. We'll see.

And since I'm not busy enough... Things are going well with the interim IT management gig with the friend. We're still trying to get to the heart of what he considers his real PROBLEM, and what a REAL solution is. He's been a bit scattery. I must focus him.

Enough about work: We're heading off for a long weekend (perfect timing - 2 days off just as I'm trying to get traction!) It will be a wonderful break!

No comments: