Monday, April 14, 2008

Boiling Rage

At work, as you know we were acquired by a larger concern shortly before I joined. As a part of the integration, they're combining computer networks and we're all getting new laptops. Big, horrible windows machines that are noisy, ugly, and lack couth. I will be using mine for the absolute minimum required, keeping the Mac as my machine of love.

Anyway, the process of getting set up should have been easy: Open the laptop, enter your login, and there you go.

After trying for 6 hours across 4 different days with multiple calls to multiple help desks, I only just today got my system up and running. And I am not a non-technical person: This was simply the worst managed transition I've ever seen... AND what's even better is that this was JUST for getting my login: The files and emails all move this weekend, and there is no assurance that it will come across cleanly - especially if it's as well planned as the simple act of giving a person a laptop and making sure they can log into it.

Several of us were so frustrated on Friday that we almost ran to the roof to throw our new laptops off: But that would have likely damaged the sidewalk.

Ok. That's off my chest.

On a different subject: You know that I recently had my office redecorated (again, kudos to Pamela). The other Veeps are stepping up and starting to personalize their spaces... but my boss hadn't been in for a few days, and I was thinking he needed some sprucing up. A trip to the party store held the answer.

When Mike came in this morning, there was a giant Oktoberfest banner across his wall, with colorful dancing Germans in hosen everywhere holding steins of beer, and large pictures of plates of sausages, breads, cakes, and more more more sausages. I had an ipod playing german drinking songs at full volume as well.

It set a good tone for the day...

No comments: