Monday, April 28, 2008

Not Fancy Please

Today Bella went to a nature center for a field trip with Pamela. On the way home, she said "Mom, I had no idea I would like it this much". Pamela asked what her favorite part was: "The sound under my feet as I rustled through the leaves."

Tonight as I put her to bed, she told me she wanted to bring me to the nature center to show me her favorite thing: "there's a path that is covered with twigs, and as you walk, they crunch under your feet".

I actually share that love of little rustling sounds too: There was a Mister Rogers on the other day, and he was playing with a paper bag... and the light crinkling sound just warmed my heart (it actually made me a little lightheaded). It's nice that she's in touch with the quiet side of life too.

Other things from tonight:

"Dad, what do you like better - horses or unicorns?" I ventured that I like them both, but that I though Unicorns were cool because they were magical. "Dad, I don't believe in Unicorns. I don't think they're real, and I don't like them, because they're FANCY and I don't like FANCY. I don't like dressing up either. I never have. I've never liked FANCY." I asked about dressing as a dog or penguin... "Those aren't fancy. Those are fun."

(This anti-fancy thing has put things like tights completely out right now... and there are some socks that have a light lace top that she won't even consider wearing due to their fanciness.)

"Dad, what is your favorite kind of insect? Mine is, though I've never seen one up close, a tarantula." I said I don't particularly like Tarantulas, or any spiders. "Do you like the color of tarantulas?" I admitted that their colors can be nice. "Well then, if you like their color, then you like them. You DO like tarantulas, Dad!"

"What's your favorite thing in space?" I said Saturn. "My favorites are the Moon, Jupiter, and Pluto, because it's so small and cute. But if I was going to get in a battle with someone like Casey and had things from space to use, I would TOTALLY use Asteroids. BOOM!!!"

That girl was on a TEAR tonight. I had to share them before they faded from memory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful stories - from Seattle, certainly, but the Bella hits just keep coming. I looked at one of the old travel journals and thought how increasingly dear they are - those in-the-moment accounts are priceless. Same for these moments you share every now and then. The sound of the leaves and twigs and you rustle through them - what a beautiful moment and one we can all relate to.
I did celebrate the conclusion of one of the great regional teller's class at St. Kates on Sunday with a proper Sunday dinner here. Bella and her visits here and her amazing language were very much part of the party. We recognize a kindred.