Friday, June 09, 2006

Into the fire!

We dragged back into town Tuesday, and made a solemn vow: We are just NOT road trip people, and we're just going to have to splurge on plane tickets for any trip over 4 hours in the car. It's that simple, especially with Bella. And it's not that she was BAD - but it was just tiring....

I did not sleep particularly well: Since getting the "big promotion", I had been boss for two days, then off for FOUR. I had crazy dreams of the place in total chaos and me powerless to do anything about it. Of course these were ridiculous - the place was in chaos BEFORE I took the job... my little vacation wasn't hurting anything. But uncertainty at work leads to restlessness in my brain - it's a proven fact.

Wednesday was a marathon of a day - meetings back to back, statuses to assemble, decisions to make. It started at 6:45, and went to 5, when we had a consulting company staff meeting... followed by dinner out at Chino Latino. By the time I got home at 9:30, I was ready to pass out. So I did.

I am managing Phase A of the project. My pal Chuck is managing Phase B, which follows mine by 5 months. Chuck had got in at 6:30 on Wednesday, and had an equally hectic day. All day, we were checking in, and he kept saying that his "extra 15 minutes" made him WAY more exhausted than I.

At Chino Latino, we each ordered a Martini. And neither of us were able to really finish it. The first few sips simply let the air out of the balloon, and we melted into the booth.

Thursday was just as busy, but I started feeling a bit more "in control" - I started being proactive, setting a few things in motion to get people working on my diabolical plans to successfully roll out the big project. Today was even better (and an actual 9 hour day, finally), and I left feeling like I was actually caught up.

I had a brief meeting with the CIO today. I asked how I was doing so far, 5 days on the job. He said "I haven't heard any complaints, so I'm taking no news as good news... but I haven't seen them carrying you around on their shoulders yet either. We'll just have to see" with a smile and a wink.

I told him that the Shoulders Carrying thing would be coming in a few months, and it'll be a thing to behold.

No comments: