Wednesday, June 21, 2006

X-Men... sigh...

Cards on the table, I'm an X-Men NUT. Issues 94-137 documenting the creation of the new X-Men, the Jean Grey Phoenix saga, Sentinels, the Brotherhood, Logan's origin, etc... it was all VERY formative geek literature for me.

Bryan Singer has been so obsessively TRUE to the X-Men spirit that both 1+2 have been delights to view. It was with perhaps a BIT of trepidation that I went to see X-Men3. I had heard very mixed reviews. But I knew that there were Sentinels and they were going to do a little with Dark Phoenix, so I had to do it.

First the positives - there were some very good scenes, and canonically, it was pretty accurate to the characters. I did love Kelsey as The Beast - he was very fun. And the bit about Mystique was so delicious....It had SO much potential... but....

It really was a FLAT movie. I didn't think that it had much energy or impact. I was watching scenes with a slightly removed feel - I kept thinking "Oh, ZZZZ has just died, and I am not feeling sad - why didn't this affect me?" It just didn't feel artistic or impactful.

And for a movie that quite frankly changes the lineup pretty significantly, I was very disappointed in how flat it was! I think that the EXACT same story could have been redone slightly - pacing, angles, delivery... in the hands of Bryan Singer, this could have been GREAT.

Here's the kicker - I felt more emotionally moved by the Superman Trailer BEFORE the movie.

Here's hoping that IF there's an X4, they don't get Uwe Boll. They need to put artistry back in this.

No comments: