Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bella on Tragedy

Today, we went out for a Burrito for dinner. Bella spied a flag at half mast and asked why... much as she had asked back in the President Ford funeral days. I reminded her that it's at half mast because people are sad about something, though I wasn't sure what.

She said "maybe someone died? Or maybe an EAGLE died? That would be really sad."

Sensing a possible moment to ask her about her feelings, with all of the emotions of the past weeks, I asked her what she thought was very sad.

"If a bunny died, that would be the saddest thing. Oh, or a dead butterfly. OR A DEAD BUTTERFLY WITH A DEAD LADYBUG ON IT - that would be the most sad thing. Actually, the dead bunny would be sadder. I love bunnies."

And that's that, I suppose!

Work Update:

I had my orientation at the NEW client today: I'm very excited about this project. It's much smaller than my current project, but it's working with doctors and technology that I need to learn, and I was getting that geek excitement going. I'm formally declared with my current project and consulting company, and there don't seem to be any repercussions, so we're cruising along!

My new office is almost comical in a Brazil sort of way: It's on a different floor than either the IT department or the Cardiology department, in a tucked away corner. It's a big room, but no windows, holes in the walls with exposed wiring, and a locked filing cabinet that's not mine... but I think I'll be able to bring some speakers in and enjoy the privacy... and my cellphone coverage is GREAT throughout the site.

Geek Update:
Last week was Japanese week, this week is Chinese week for language, and I'm still loving it. There's a program at Chinesepod where you can get a 10 minute phone call every day to help you practice and progress.... and maybe in a month or two or three I just might do that for a little bit. I can only imagine it would be amazing practice. I only wish JapanesePod had a similar program.

On the BrainReady front: The third book is on it's way to Amazon, but can be bought anytime at The BrainReady Lulu Store. I've started work on the new 8x11 brainflex worksheets too: I have 6 done so far, and should have another full book of them in 2 weeks or so. These incorporate more of the deeper creative exercises from the BrainChallenge books, have larger fonts, and are generally more readable for tired eyes than the first BrainFlexes.

We're trying to think of really how to get these exercise books out into the hands of some people who need them: Anyone know how to get a case of books out to brain-injured Vets in the VA system without getting trapped in purchasing/requistions hell? I'd give a case away just to get some good feedback and help a few people in need... send me your ideas, ok?

Allright - that's enough update for the day.

No comments: