Monday, April 23, 2007

Language Nuttiness

This weekend was the big Auction at church. Pamela worked her tuchis off on this - she was in charge of decorations, as well as provided a lot of items for auction. Coming right on the heels of the Great Adoption Debacle of 2007, our lives were pretty hectic.

Well, the auction was a great success - over 200 people, over $25k raised for the church, and a crazy good time with good food, cerveza, lots of laughter, and way more auction items that the human mind can process. We bid of a good lot of things, and fortunately only won a few of them.

There was a heated moment during the live auction when Pamela was soundly outbid on a tour of the state capitol and luncheon with the secretary of state.... by the head minister. We really couldn't raise on that. Plus she had doubled the price just like THAT. The lady meant business, it was clear.

One thing I DID win was a Cinco de Mayo dinner party... with the condition that the conversation be all En EspaƱol por todo la noche. I'm excited but nervous, because this is just two weeks away, and I need to CRAM on vocabulary for the event. Here's my plan:

- 2 good Spanish Podcasts a day. www.notesonspanish.com has a series of 10 minute long conversations between two people - no script, just a topic... with transcriptions. They are from Madrid, so there may be some lisping that may not work if the diners are Latin American. www.spanishsense.com is the sister site to Chinesepod, and they're Argentinian, and theirs are a bit more basic, but there are good points in there.

- 1 page of translations a day: I'll write out a few key discussion points in English, and then translate them.

So if all goes to plan, in 12 days, I should be a bit more comfortable.

Now, there's actually a chance that this dinner won't happen - I was the only one who bid on it - there were 4 chairs for auction. Oh, and yes, I'd be stag - it was PER SEAT. So either I'll be sitting alone with two social justice advocates, or it might get canceled. We'll see. But I'm sticking with "The Plan." Wish me luck!

No comments: