Monday, April 23, 2007

Los ninos esta noche

Randy and JeMae have been spending a lot of time at my current client hospital: Randy's mom is very ill and possibly on her deathbed. I went to visit them since I'm over that direction and gave them some support - with all of the madness in the past few weeks around us, this is just one more spoke in the crazy wheel.

To help out, Pamela picked up Jenny from the bus after school, and the girls were playing this afternoon. When I got home, I was greeted with wild shrieking... the girls were beyond excited: We were going out to eat and then... TO EDENBOROUGH PARK!!!!!

Dinner was at Fuddruckers. Oh my. They messed up my order every possible way, but in the end, I did eat, so it was ok. The girls liked their food... and the place was pretty quiet. We did play one game in the game room - a totally excellent thing where ping-pong-ball bumblebees are blown aloft by a fan and you are supposed to scoop them and drop them into a bucket. It was surprisingly fun.

Afterwards, we went to the park, which was more empty than I've ever seen it: Bella and Jenny got to do everything - shoot baskets, zoom on wheeled scooter chairs, jump in the moon walk, and climb to the very top of the climbing structure. There were maybe 5 other kids there in total. They were having such a great time! Even Isaac was having fun, chasing a rolling basketball, crawling hither and yon, and working on his standing.

I should mention that Isaac's physicality is getting flat out silly. He's able to pull up to a stand on just about anything. And he's FAST with his crawling: My shame is that on Saturday I had my back turned for just a moment and he bolted past me toward the basement stairs, and pitched over and rolled down two of them. FORTUNATELY, it's just 3 steps to the flight, so there was no epic long tumble which would have been, well, unthinkable. But he got a bruise on his cheek and I feel like the worst dad in the world. I'm getting over that, but the gates are definitely going UP this week.

Anyway, now the kids are all asleep and all seems well with the world. Jenny is spending the night, and got a little sad because she misses her parents who have been at the hospital so much. So she got extra cuddles.

We're counting the days, by the way, to the installation of the new playset in the back yard. Oh, years ago we said "we don't need a playset - there's a great park just down the hill". And we didn't. But now there's Isaac. And when he's napping, Pamela can't really bring Bella down to the park to play. The baby monitor range isn't good enough for one thing.

So we decided to splurge - there was a coupon in the paper - discounts, free delivery and install. So we decided to do it. On Sunday we went to the showroom, and Bella played for over an hour while we decided on all of the details. She jumped up and grabbed the olympic rings and swung herself back and forth - she is STRONG. This will be a good thing for her.

Finally - Isaac got a bit of a cold, and has been a little snuffleubagus. Last night, his stuffy nose got him all awake AND mad, and I wound up driving for 20 minutes with him in back to chill him out. It worked, and that's the first time I've had to do that sort of thing with EITHER kid. Of course I was thinking "Earth Day and I'm burning a gallon of dinosaur mash to put a kid to sleep... " But whatchagonnado?

Ok, the triple post evening is over. Thank you all for your patience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUR patience? We live for a three post day, dear.
My vision for you and Pam as you deal with this new stage of mobility - and the gym set - is that you arrive at an advanced age grateful for all the close calls that never amounted to much damage, mental or physical. We'll see if Isaac slows down, or regards doors with some wariness - which I hope he does. I fully understand your feeling awful about the tumble. Glad you are giving yourself a break for being human and caught by surprise. With the quick intelligence going on over at your place, I imagine your world is a better and safer place right now. Peace.