Monday, April 02, 2007

High Jinks

Three additional details:
1) Both our washer and our dryer decided last week that they'd had enough of us and our two kids of laundry. The dryer was demanding ever more in blood sacrifice to continue working (every single zipper, and many snaps and buttons, and more than a few bra straps all proved appetizing to this monster) The washer just gave up. So we got some new ones. LG model, cool blue, and charming in all ways. They don't beep or buzz, they chime. They don't rumble, they quietly whir. In fact, only the spin cycle may be an issue, since it's a much faster spin than the old machine, it creates some crazy vibrations in the house... we're looking into floor mats or something. But putting it on medium or low spin speed solves the problem somewhat too.

Is it possible to be in love with a washer dryer combo? Perhaps... perhaps my friends.

2) At work the other day, I heard over my cube wall two people who said "maybe we should ask Jim...". So I dove under my desk and called out "Jim's not here!" They came around the cube wall, and burst out laughing. And for the rest of the day they laughed. And the next day, more people came around and said "Oh, you're not under your desk today?" And the NEXT DAY.... Boy, you just pull one gag, and it gets people for DAYS.

The crazy thing is that was totally "normal" for my days as a director back at ValueRX - we pulled that gag all the time, to the point where it wasn't even worth mentioning. We were insane then, I guess. But it's fun to shake up the squares.

3) I'm sure everybody already knows it, but when a rabbit jumps straight up in the air, it's called "Jinking". So High Jinks brings to mind the image of rabbits leaping up in the air, which sounds both mischievous (for aren't rabbits quiet little animals?) and magical. I love it when language brings imagery to mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that language lovin' family! I do enjoy these posts. About "jinks" - a rabbit's jinks can combine a body twist and a leap so they leap up in one direction and land in another. It's all part of their evasive bag of tricks - because for they are food and they know it. It's a dodge. What is magical is that they jink when they are delighted and want to play as well. I knew Jasper liked me in the "getting to know you room" at the Humane Society because he jinked a little.