Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Current Statistics

Lessons in Japanese completed: 23
I can talk about family (wife - Kanai, daughter - on'na no ko), size (Oh-ki = big, chi-sai = small), ask to fill up (Man Tan) my car (watashino kuruma) with a litre (lee-tah) of gas (ga-so-reen - yes really). I can count just up to 100 (99 = ku juu ku), then jump to 1000 and up. I can ask where things are, say where they are, ask if they're far away or not, express a desire for food, drink, or shopping in two levels of politeness... and so much more.

Days till my project goes live: 58.
Successful system tests so far: 0.
Yes, this is a bit nerve wracking, but we are waiting on some KEY fixes from our vendor, and we can get pretty far in the process. My current headache was that the big issue I chased last week where we escalated to all levels of management, was revealed to have impact to.... wait for it:

Cases a month affected by this bug: 3.
This is so far beyond the 80/20 rule, or even the 98/2 rule. When that little tidbit was revealed, I almost lept across the table. 3 cases a month, I don't care if the system handles it elegantly. I'll personally engrave those cases onto granite tablets.

Tomatoes in our house: 100000000000 (or so)
Our vines are bursting with maters of all sizes. AND our veggie co-op appears to be running over too, because we have more tomatoes than I can shake a stick at (and I wouldn't shake that stick, they clearly outnumber me. I'm no fool). So last night was a big tomato salad. Tonight was roast beef sammiches with big slabs of tomato. TOMORROW will be gazpacho, which done well is maybe my favorite soup (not to be confused with Minestrone, which is the devil's own soup. It took me several years of practice before I was able to differentiate those on a menu).

Little Binxes in my house: 1.
She met me as I came home tonight - late after working out too. She was on the front step wearing a duck towel and nothing else. She was very excited to see me, and I got lots of hugs and smooches. I put her to bed, and she took a looong time to wind down, but in the end, a back scratch and some stories got her to rest.... and I loved ending the day with that.

And now, full stomach, exercised bones, and full brain, I'm off to an early bedtime!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Number of planets in the solar system: 12 or 13.
Number of asteroids being considered for planet status: 1, Ceres.
Number of Mothers interested in taking any number of tomatoes off your hand to make spaghetti sauce: 1.
Me. Please make me part of your tomato relocation strategy.