Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Warning - Geeky

1) My new secret project will probably launch next week sometime. What's cool about it is that the content is totally being done by Paul and me, and we're not dependent on anything to make this work - we have a real product, we can make it, and we don't need to hire programmers, nor get startup funding... we're just going to put it out into the world. We're kind of excited. But wait a little longer.

2) I love the Ebay. A million years ago (ok, 1983-85) I would bus downtown and buy british music magazines. One was a technology mag called One Two Testing (which I think I've mentioned before) that I loved beyond all reason. I got one copy on the eBay a few months back, and it brought me right back to programming my DX9 to make analog blippy noises so I could do the riff from Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer or Only You by Yaz, looking at photographs of Simmons electric drums and Jupiter 8s being leaned on by Howard Jones or Thomas Dolby...

I just got a package from England - I won 4 more issues. And they're true gems: Interviews with Depeche Mode, Heaven 17, OMD, Howard Jones, TWO with Thomas Dolby (one is a "primer for synthesizer nuts" before he was famous, the other post-fame with pretention and success all over it. It's just divine. I need to find more.

One of the best parts of the magazine was they'd ask exactly HOW my synth stars did stuff. There are drawings of the settings of Vince Clarke's synths for Only You, and production details for Heaven 17 songs (my god, they used a Synclavier? I swore they were Fairlight Men to the core.)

And that's the nerd report.

No comments: