Sunday, August 06, 2006

Reunion Part Two

Some general impressions:
1) People are still looking great. I've hear people say that at the 20, the ladies look good, but the men are looking middle aged. I'd say that at Washburn, we beat the curve pretty well - people were in general looking fit.

2) Only two people from class were known to have passed away in the intervening years. One was a friend back then... We were doubledates at Prom, and we did an interesting piece for AP English where we read poetry in a graveyard, sitting on tombstones with our names on them. I think that would be a hard picture to see now.

3) We have people from all walks of life: My friends are photographers, drummers, firemen, Navy officers, lawyers, substitute teachers, professors, IT professionals, house painters, day laborers, flight attendants, investment bankers, moms, dads, line cooks, restaurant owners, artists, molecular biologists... It was amazing to sit with people and realize the multitude of paths we all took out of school. Strangely, nobody batted an eye when I said I was an IT Project Manager. Sort of like when the class closet case comes out, everybody says "no big surprise there, guy". I was always meant to be a geek.

4) A LOT of us took the later paths in life: Most were talking about being married in the last 10 years, and a LARGE number had kids under 5... I guess people really are getting started a little later. IT'S NOT JUST ME.

5) There are still some cliques - and some people who didn't make an effort to socialize outside of that... I kept my eye on a few. But they were the exceptions. And actually, I felt kind of bad for them. But it's their life.

6) There was rekindling of friendship from much further back than High School - there were friends I went to elementary with who had falled into different groups by HS and I never spoke with, and at the reunion, we were all geeking out about the comic books I used to draw in 5th and 6th grades... many people want scans of that old artwork - I only hope that some faithful reader might remember where those old "Cyclone Seven" comics are....

And that's the writeup on the 20-year. I may think of a few more tidbits, but that pretty well covers it.

No comments: