Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Taco Nite

Love the Taco Nite at the house. Usually, we play Kool and the Gang's "Ladie's Night" and sing Taco over the top. Bella, as you know, loves her Chipotle Burrito bowls. What you may not know is she's a taco fiend. She loads up a tortilla with spiced beef, sour cream, and cheese, and wolfs it down. Taco Nite is one of our few reliable ways of getting protein into that girl.

Tonight, as we sat in slack jawed amazement, Bella downed 1 hard shell taco and 3 soft shell ones, all loaded with more meat and cheese than either Pamela or I put on ours. We both had 3 each and were stuffed. Bella kept on going, making growly sounds of food lust. Add to earlier in the week when after a full dinner, she insisted on two yoghurts prior to falling asleep, and I'm afraid I'm looking at a biiiig growth spurt coming ahead.

Papa and Bam are coming to town for the weekend, and I'm playing hooky Friday to go to the Fair. I'm very much looking forward to the delicious fair food. In preparation, I restarted my exercise program after 10 days away (things got... busy). And I'm oh so achey. My quads just feel like I took a ball peen hammer to them for sport. But on balance, I still believe Exercise is a "Good Thing"

Work... Meh. I have good days, and bad days, and lots of ups and downs across those days. We are 42 days from golive, and we still have many issues, PLUS the final planning is kicking into full gear. Today I had non-stop meetings from 8-5:30, with 2 15 minute downtimes. In one of those downtimes I ran to Rainbow to get food. On the other downtime, I ate that food.

Language is going VERY well: I finished Level 1 of Japanese and have started Level 2: So sum total, we're talking I just did Lesson 31 of 90. I still love this language, but man, it has some VERY silly conventions. All of the politeness levels, the couching terms, the word order, the modifiers... and the fact that they use different NUMBER words when referring to Tall thin objects, flat objects, animals, people, round or cup shaped objects... It's like a crazy secret club where to kill the boredom they come up with impossibly obscure distinctions - like Cockney Rhyming Slang or something.

With every little bit I learn, I realize... German's not so tough. Spanish is a breeze. And even though I'm at least 2 months out from finishing Japanese, I think my birthday present to myself MUST be the Mandarin Chinese series of lessons...

And that's my update.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are fiendishly well written posts. Wolf Girl rules! And languages are such joys- you should hear the huffing going on in Denver because Mary landed a teaching position at the U/WY. "All she talks about is how she loves Spanish!" She and her husband and kids could rattle off Japanese and Korean. Still can, I guess.