Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Major Seventh

I work in a 2-story converted department store with nice high ceilings. It has been refitted to house a data center as well as our offices, and as a result there is a massive cooling unit parked right on the roof. I heard that they decided against the cost of rubber footings, so there are some areas in the office that have an oppressive "thummmmmmmmmm" that gets right into your bones. Fortunately, my office is not near it.

The AC unit can be heard in full roar as you approach the building from the employee parking lot. It's loud, but not unpleasant as you walk up. The other day I figured out why it's not so bad.

It's playing a Major Seventh chord - C, E, G, B (though I don't have perfect pitch, so I don't know the exact key it's in). This lush open stack of triads was a big part of my favorite 80's music - think of some of the open chords in Kajagoogoo "Hang on Now", or Prefab Sprout's "When Love Breaks Down"...

Anyway, it was a fun discovery. And now I hum up and down the chord every morning as I walk in.

No comments: