Sunday, August 27, 2006

Relaxomatic

First off, let me assure you all - things DID get a touch better for my work by Friday. We had a few more scripts pass through testing, and the emergency scheduling issue may not have been as critical as supposed... There are still substantial hurdles to overcome, but I think that things were better Friday than on Thursday. But I took off early on Friday, and lord knows what could have transpired... I do note that there are over 40 new messages in my inbox from between 1-4pm, my "hooky time" from Friday.

But Hooky was worth taking because it was a great weekend. Here's how it went: We had a quick sammich at Potbelly in Maple Grove, then up to Ruttger's in Garrison, just off of MilleLacs. 120 short miles (measured by one-Pooh Heffalump Movie and one-Dora episode). We got a nice small cabin right on the lakefront - clean, not musty, and cozy.

And then we relaxed. And ate very good food. And relaxed. Bella was unstoppable with the swimming action. Friday Night, Saturday morning, noon, and night we swam. Sunday morning we swam. Thank you to Grampette and the Foss swim school, Bella is VERY comfortable in the water, and boy, Pamela and I sure got our share of swimming in too. I do want to say the food at Ruttger's was very good - I had a fantastic pan fried walleye last night that I'm dreaming about now.

Bella loved the lake, and we came home with a full bucket of rocks and shells she collected. And she loved looking for bugs, peering at them from a safe distance with her hands on her hips, pitched forward, with her nose crinkled up.

I re-read an old favorite book, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. What was interesting was that when I FIRST read it, I had read very little by either man, and since I've read LOTs by both, so I was expecting to be able tell who wrote what, but boy, that book was a real synthesis. And still VERY funny. But other than that I can't say that I did anything productive - my language books and tapes sat unread/unlistened. My computer stayed at home. This was all about play.

We got home around 4, after checking out and chilling out for a few extra hours up there. Bella went STRAIGHT over to Jenny's, where they just giggled and laughed with eachother for hours. So us adults got to thinking about having dinner together. But after all of the great food we'd eaten (and recently), I couldn't think of anyting to eat.

So I ran home, made up a plate of peanut butter and jelly sammiches, grabbed a bag of pretzels, and we had a great little picnic in the warm summer evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Omens remains a sacred text. Partly because I first learned about Gaiman and Prachett there. Once, when I discovered Dream Haven and thought I knew something, I mentioned to Elizabeth that I only heard Terry Prachett's voice in GOOD OMENS. "Oh, Gaiman's is there. Gaiman's is very MUCH present." And the look on her face was scorn. It took some time to sense Gaiman, the other is an easier mark - and SOMEONE TALKS IN ALL CAPS IN HIS BOOKS TOO.