Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Date Night

Pamela got everything ready to have a bunch of mom-friends over tonight, which meant that Bella and I got to have a date night. We started with Burritos at Chipotle, which she always loves. Today her appetite wasn't so great, but that just means more for tomorrow's lunch.

After dinner, it was off to Guitar Center for us. She loves that place. Today we went straight to the Drums room. The young man gave me the sticks and acknowledged that I'm one of the "good parents" who stays with and watches his kid in the store - there are a lot of parents who let the kids run wild, which makes the store guys crazy.

Bella has a natural love for the Roland V-Drums, a very good sounding electronic kit... I may need to get one.... just for her of course (though perhaps I could play it sometimes?). I have tried to interest her in the cheaper models, the yamaha, the ion, but she will have none of it. She knows quality.

Today we also played for a while with Daraboukas, which are middle eastern drums that you can change the sound of by putting your hand up in the back of it.... You make this cool low-to-high sound. Bella thought it was cool at least. She also loves how the congas make different sounds depending on how you play them. She's going to be a drummer, no question.

One of the guitar salesguys hijacked us and tried to get Bella to try a mini Martin acoustic guitar. She was having none of it. But later she thought perhaps she'd like a pink electric guitar. Of course.

Today I couldn't get her to groove on any keyboards - she was very focused on percussion. But there's a new-ish Roland that is sort of cheap, and looks VERY easy to use while sounding good, and it looks spot on like an old Juno 106 I had back in high school. I almost got it for her own good. But I think it would need to be painted pink in any case.

We got home and the party was in full swing so we went upstairs to get ready for bed. At one point I said "it's time to brush teeth and get in your pajamas..." to which she responded while running back and forth "I can't hear what you just said, I'm doing KID STUFF!!!!"

It was a pretty good comeback, actually.

No comments: